- In response to the growing social and international debate on AI ethics and the call to focus on AI policy, here we have made an AI policy. We drive BtoB business in which we provide various AI solutions including AI development support to our customers to accomplish social innovation together with them. For this reason, the values and principles pertaining to AI that we should emphasize vary from customer to customer and shall not be determined without customers. Therefore, this policy is not about listing up values and principles, but rather aims to unify our policy on AI ethics with our customers and business partners, so that we can work together to respond to ethical issues in AI.
- 1. Basic concept
- We strive to achieve digital transformation in industries and business through collaboration between AI and humans. We communicate with our customers thoroughly and explain not only the positive aspects of AI, but also the negative aspects such as disadvantages and infringement of rights that may occur at the same time. These are taken into consideration when we make proposals for AI solutions to customers in accordance with the customers’ business. We believe that it is important to take into account such issues together with our customers through good communication based on a broad consideration of factors that differ from customer to customer, such as their circumstances and the end users’ expectations, not to mention the general trends in society.
- 2. Company-wide initiatives
- (1) Top management
Our senior management themselves are acquiring knowledge and sense of the above issues, and are managing the company as a whole when addressing them.
(2) Acquiring the latest knowledge
We have been actively addressing issues such as AI ethics since before these were widely discussed as they are today. We have been acquiring the latest knowledge by actively participating in industry associations and public research groups, as well as by proactively conducting research on the latest academic achievements.
(3) Compliance with guidelines, etc.
Various guidelines and such have been published in Japan and overseas on issues pertaining to AI ethics, etc. We study these widely and try to comply with reasonable guidelines.
(4) Employee education
We regularly share news and research on the above issues to our employees, and also hold regular training sessions for employees on topics such as AI ethics.
5) Establishment of external committee for review
We have an external committee called “Ethical Approach to AI (EAA)” to discuss problems pertaining to AI ethics. In this committee, we receive various insights from external experts on specific cases.
- 3. Initiatives in our business operation
- In our business, we take into account the customers’ circumstances and needs and help them incorporate AI from introduction to utilization. We work on ethical issues in AI together with the customers in accordance with the environments they are in and their needs. The values to be protected in AI ethics include fairness, privacy, transparency, safety, security, human autonomy, and protection of the environment, etc. We work together with our customers to address AI ethics issues, taking into account the content of the AI to be developed, the customers’ business, and the intentions of the end users, as well as the values to be addressed and the values to be focused on especially. We also provide customers with a thorough explanation on AI ethical issues when necessary.
- 4. Initiatives with ABEJA Insight for Retail
- 5. Keeping the policy up to date
- This policy will be revised and updated as necessary. In such cases, we will announce it in an appropriate manner.
CEO of ABEJA, Inc.